Monday, May 9, 2011

How We Got Here

This journey all began when we went in for our routine ultrasound to find out the gender of our baby. The technician happily told us we were having a boy! As excited as we were, we were also crushed to hear that he had very little amniotic fluid surrounding him, the amniotic sac around him had a tear (PPROM) and was leaking. My doctor immediately put me on bedrest for the remainder of my pregnancy so that I would not loose anymore fluid and hopefully so I wouldn't go into pre-term labor. 

Bedrest was miserable especially since Adam was out of town working, but I had SO much help! Kirra stayed busy and happy and I picked up cross stich. 


Every two weeks I was getting an ultrasound to check the levels of amniotic fluid and luckily they were not going down and Kai was still growing, so those were very good signs that everything was going to be ok.

Five weeks into the bedrest I started bleeding. It seemed to be too much and I was worried so Adam took me to the Emergency Room where I was admitted to Labor & Delivery at Dominican. They told me just to stay overnight so they could give me IV fluid and keep an eye on me. 

So Adam and Kirra left at about 9pm and at around 11pm I noticed I was having contractions. I told the nurse and she called my doctor. While I was waiting for her to come back I started getting really flushed and hot and even started getting the chills...I had a fever which means I had an infection, not good. The doctor told the nurse to start antibiotics and magnesium in my IV and to make a call to Stanford. Meanwhile the contractions were getting closer and closer (about 4 minutes apart) so I was given a pill (twice) to slow them down, but they didn't. By the time my doctor came Adam and Kirra had come back as well and Stanford had been called. Now it was 1am. Then my doctor ordered betamethatsone a steroid to give me to help mature Kai's lungs faster. At this time I was just having very rhythmic contractions while waiting for the ambulance to come. They finally showed up just after 4am and the nurse immediately gave me fentynal to help with the pain of the contractions as we had a long ride ahead of us to Palo Alto.

Once I was in the delivery room at 5am, I was given a bunch of pep talks and met a ton of doctors and residents. Among them was the anesthesiologist who also had a student with him and gave me an epidural and pitocin. I fell asleep for awhile until I started to feel the urge to push. I told the nurse and she called all the doctors in and the NICU doctors as well. 

I pushed on two or three contractions and Kai was out and given straight to the NICU team. Adam went with Kai while the doctors finished up with me and transfered me into the maternity ward. 
Adam kept me updated on Kai because I had to wait until my IV was done and the numbness went away from my legs. 

After a few hours I finally got to meet my sweet baby boy.

No comments:

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers