Monday, July 11, 2011

Are You My Mother?


MONDAY, JULY 11, 2011 9:52 PM, PDT
9 Weeks
Thanks everyone for being patient for this next update! 
Time is flying. 

Kai received an awesome baby shower yesterday. It turned out to be so beautiful out!--Thanks to everyone who could make it and of course thank you for the gifts! They will be alot of help.

Since Kai's last update, not too much has changed except that he did not last long on just the nasal canula (goes into his nostrils and only receives oxygen). So he was put back on the CPAP machine to keep his lungs expanded with pressure. He has been back on CPAP for a week now and he is having less dsats which is good progress for him.

He had another blood transfusion last week as well in hopes that it would lower his dsat episodes, which it has helped in my opinion. He did well with that and the IV line is already out to help reduce risk of infection. He doesn't seem to mind the IV lines, but his forearm his taped to a small piece of foam and I don't think he enjoys whacking his face with it when he tries to put his hand near his face. 

His eye exams have been about the same. Stage one ROP in "zone 2". One of the doctors went over what all that means to me one day and all I can say from that now is that this stage and zone is pretty typical for his gestational age, so he's sort of on the right track. His blood vessels in his eyes just still need to grow and mature at a steady pace.

No recent brain ultrasounds. He will just have an MRI to see a more detailed image of his brain tissue. That will happen when he is 36 weeks gestation (he's 35 weeks tomorrow, so sometime next week or the week after).

Kidneys have been quiet.

He is still showing signs of acid reflux and to me it looks like it really hurts him. Every time he receives food he has a few episodes of reflux and he cries, turns red, and looks as if he is holding his breath like he's trying to stop it. He hasn't been "officially" tested for it by swabbing the inside of is esophagus, but they have still been giving him medication to help with it because it's pretty obvious he's in pain. He can however grow out of acid reflux at anytime!

He's still gaining weight! He's at a whopping 4 pounds 14 ounces as of tonight! Well over two kilos. 
Although its awesome that he is gaining weight, they still want him to grow proportionately so here and there they can add or reduce his caloric intake! (they still haven't measured him)

I am still holding him as often as I can and we have been trying to get a hold in twice a day rather than just once. It's soooo amazing to hold him! I absolutely love it. He loves it too I can tell. He was very awake this afternoon while I was holding him and he kept looking up at me. The expression on his face is priceless yet it reminds me of the little bird in the Dr. Suess book, Are You My Mother? Every time he opens his eyes he probably has to get a good look and listen at each nurse to check if its me or not. That's just what goes through my head :)
I actually read that book to Kirra today, weird coincidence. 

Anyways, that is the update for now! 

Thanks everyone for checking in and dropping notes-I'm reading them :)
Love-Ash

No comments:

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers